Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

We want your experience with Connecting Link to be a positive one; therefore we have design this FAQ of our guidelines to help answer Frequently Asked Questions which will in turn help us to serve you better when you arrive at our office.

What can Connecting Link assist me with?

Connecting Link assist with the following: Utility Disconnections, Evictions, First Month's Rent, Prescription Medication and Transportation. (All Emergency Assistance is provided as funding is available)

What do I need to bring with me when I come to Connecting Link for assistance?

Connecting Link request that you bring in the following information with you when making a request for assistance from our office:

Current WV Photo ID
Proof of income for everyone in the household for the last 30 days
Social Security Cards for everyone in the household
Termination Notice, Eviction Notice or Original Prescription
Food Stamp Card (SNAP)
Medical Information
DHHR Referral Letter (You must have this before we can assist you)

Why do I need a Referral Letter from the DHHR?

If you are eligible for State or Federal Assistance, you must apply there and provide proof of eligibility or non-eligibility form that agency.

Can Connecting Link pay part of my bill and I catch the rest up later?

No.  Connecting Link cannot commit any amount of money until the full amount needed can be obtained through assistance or payments.  In this case, you may be required to pay a portion of your bill.

How often can I come to Connecting Link for assistance?

Our ultimate goal is to help you become self sufficient so you no longer need to go to an agency for assistance.  However, in the event you need assistance from Connecting Link the guideline is as follows: Connecting Link will assist you once a year for the same utility (Gas, Water, or Electric) then after 6 months Connecting Link can provide assistance with another utility bill as long as it isn't the initial utility you came to Connecting Link for in the first place.

Does Connecting Link provide Budget Counseling?

Yes. Connecting Link provides Budget Counseling on a case by case basis.

Can Connecting Link pay my Security Deposit or Reconnect Fees?

No.  Connecting Link does not pay security deposits or reconnection fees because they are refundable back to you.

What are your Hours of Operation?

Connecting Link is open Monday thru Friday from 8:30-3:30.  We are closed everyday from 12:00-1:00 for lunch.  We are closed the 4th Wednesday of the month for training.

Where is Connecting Link located?

Connecting Link has two offices with locations on Monongalia and Marion Counties.

Connecting Link
Marion County Office
205 Fairmont Ave
Fairmont WV  26554

Connecting Link
Monongalia County Office
235 High St Suite 208
Morgantown, WV  26505